JESUS IS MY FRIEND

This is my best title of Jesus out of all the titles: Jesus is my friend - a friend who is always there for us. I know as kids, as youngsters, as young adults, and even as adults, we always look up to someone who understands us like no one else and who can guide us. Someone who is always there for you. For me, Jesus is a good friend in times of trials, temptations, darkness, or "I'm tired" or "I'm angry, I'm upset." Just go there, sit with Him, and talk with Him.

If you want to go and speak to someone, you speak to your friend. For me, the first friend is Jesus. I always go to sit close to the Blessed Sacrament, and I talk to Him as I talk to my friends. I tell him, "Hey, Jesus, You know what happened today? This happened, and I was so upset, and I got angry. I just wanted to tell You these things." I speak to Him like a friend. I feel that when you finish your prayer, it may feel like complaining, but it is a sharing of one's heart. I say, "Hey, You know this is what happened. I didn't like this response, and this was my response. I felt like I was being humiliated. But then I thought of You. I thought I would come and share these things with You." Talk with Him like He is your friend.

We have that famous hymn: "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" - I always hum that. I'm not a good singer - you could say I'm a "bathroom singer" - but I always hum that tune in my own heart. One of the most significant aspects of friendship is someone who stands by you through think and thin. For me, this is Jesus. Any time I am confused while trying to make a decision, or I am going through a difficult situation, or I am most happy or joyful...the first person I tell is Jesus. I call upon His name, I hum His name and say "What a friend we have in Jesus" because the person who understands us more than anyone else is Jesus. That's why I go to Him. You may call it prayer; I call it a personal talk. Just like how Jesus recharged Himself when He spoke to his dad, I get recharged when I talk with Jesus. These times with Jesus give me more strength, it calms me down, it gives me more peace and tranquility. Sometimes it encourages me, sometimes it motivates me...because that's what friends do. They stand by you through thick and thin; when you are down; when you are most happy; when you need to choose something; when you are on the verge of falling. In these times, friends say, "We are there for you." That's what I've felt in Jesus - always.

Jesus is my friend. And He is my friend in spite of who I am, in spite of what I do. That's what friends do and that's who Jesus is for me.

Fr. Raju Narisetty
Brooklyn Oratory


"What a Friend We Have in Jesus" by Paul Baloche

Comments

Popular Posts