JESUS, THE FIRSTBORN

This Advent, the Diocese of Brooklyn offered a collegiate retreat which featured the theme: At the Name of Jesus. Students, faculty, and staff members shared their reflections on different names and titles of Jesus. One of these reflections is included below.

The name of Jesus that I chose is the Firstborn. I am an older sibling, and when I think of Jesus as the Firstborn, I think of Him as a leader. What do we do with leaders? Of course, we follow them. As the oldest child in my family, I can't help but see things from this perspective. I have three little siblings looking up to me. So, I am always trying to make sure that I am being the best role model that I can be. Yes, I know I make mistakes, but I am learning - I understand the significance of being the one that is looked up to. Every time I have a decision to me, I think: "Am I setting a good example?" It can really make a difference when the person you are looking up to is setting a good example.

Fortunately for us, Jesus is our example. He is the prime example of what we should be aiming to do. He sacrificed Himself for our salvation. As an older sibling, it is also interesting to think about how my younger siblings are certainly not always looking up to me. So, naturally, I am constantly trying to be inspiring to them - I try to inspire them to be at their best. One word that informs who I want to be for my younger siblings is "guidance" - I want them to be coming to me for guidance. Unfortunately, they are not coming to me for guidance very frequently, but I always want to be at my best in case they do decide to come to me for guidance. I want to be the best role model, just like Jesus is for us. He saved us. We should always try to better ourselves by following His way.

Marisol Toxqui
Class of 2024
St. Francis College


Comments

Popular Posts