Tuesday of the First Week of Lent

Today’s Readings

In today’s first reading, Jesus explains how important the words He gives us are. He likens them to rain and snow that make the earth fertile and fruitful. “So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it."

And as we move to the Gospel reading for the day, we are treated, once again, to one of the most meaningful prayers Jesus has ever asked us to pray – the Our Father.

I have prayed this prayer often for many reasons and, to be honest, have often not really thought about the words I was praying. But then something happened that changed all of that.

About a month ago, my dad became very ill without warning, and we were told that he was nearing the end of his life. Fortunately, for my family and I, were able to spend time with him before that happened, as we all visited him in ICU.  He was in and out of consciousness and sometimes agitated, as if he was wanting something.  My sister, in perhaps a moment of Divine inspiration, said “Daddy, do you want to pray”, “yeah” was his reply – so clearly it stunned us.

She went on, “ok Dad, we’ll all say the Our Father together”. We gathered around his bed, his children and grandchildren, and prayed the Our Father and I watched him mouth every word, including a bellowing AMEN at the end.  He was finally calm, having prayed the prayer that would comfort him. And THAT has comforted me, many times, since his death. It’s a memory we will all carry in our hearts forever.

I knew I would never pray that prayer in the same way again. The first reading gives me clarity, as to why we all had this experience with my dad.

God’s words were made “fertile and fruitful” through my dad’s request and the impact it made on each of us. God used my dad to teach me this lesson. It’s not just about praying the words.  It’s about opening your heart to the words of ANY prayer. It’s about allowing God’s words to comfort you and give you peace, to touch the “deep inside” part of your soul.

What are God’s words saying to you? How can you continue God’s voice in the world through your own voice?  Do you realize that you’re being called to be something greater than you are? How will this season of Lent define you?

Sue Mulderrig
Technology Trainer, St. Francis College

Comments

Popular Posts