Holy Thursday

VIEW TODAY'S READINGS

REGISTER FOR TOMORROW'S VIRTUAL STATIONS OF THE CROSS

Jesus is God in the flesh, the firstborn of all creation. Everything was created through him. Everything in heaven and everything on earth, visible or invisible. Jesus is bigger than the universe and he holds all the universe together.


But this great and glorious Jesus decided that he would use his last night before his undeserved death to love his friends to the end. He invited them to a feast and before they could eat, he took off his outer garments, wrapped a towel around his waist, and washed his friends’ feet. 


As the food was served, Jesus took the bread and broke it, saying, “This is my body which I sacrifice to save you. Eat this to remember how much I love you.” And he took the cup and said, “This cup is my promise to save you, written in my blood. As often as you drink this cup, remember how much I love you.” 


Jesus washed feet and broke the bread and passed the cup on that Maundy Thursday (another name for Holy Thursday) to show us his love. He wanted us to feel his cleansing power, to smell his grace, to taste his mercy. “This is my gospel!” he was saying. “This is my love! This is why I will be beaten and killed! This is why I will rise! The Father has sent me to do this, so that you can be saved!” 

That night, Jesus gave his friends a “new command” to love one another as much as Jesus first loved us. This is where we get the name “Maundy.” Taste his Body and Blood. We have been forgiven much. May we love much.

Excerpted from "Maundy Thursday Liturgy"
Apostles Church Brooklyn

"Washing of the Feet" | David Bomberg

Comments

Popular Posts