Friday of the Fourth Week of Lent

VIEW TODAY'S READINGS

When I was invited to write a reflection on the scripture for this day my dark side saw an opportunity to have some fun…write some outlandish philosophical tripe as I would always have the out at the end…April Fools! However, the idea of doing that in light of a reading from the Book of Wisdom shamed me to do the right thing.

We are told that we seldom recognize the prophets among us and this reading offers us the opportunity to ponder that thought…are there prophets among us in 2022? If so, in these most troubling times, how do we find them and hear their message? The first reading is a direct prophecy of the Passion of Jesus and the text makes me connect to the “Social Media” society that surrounds us. All too often individuals believe themselves free to judge, criticize and condemn others. “They know not the hidden counsels of God…nor discern the innocent souls’ reward.” In moments of silence and grace, stepping away from the prattle of the world, I try to hear the prophets and “count on the recompense of holiness”.

Hope comes with the Responsorial Psalm: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted.” I find it impossible to watch the news these days. Pandemic! War! Crime! Global Warming! We are bombarded by these reports and can easily become broken…then the Lord brings us what I like to call “God moments” - a text from a former student filled with rich memories…my grand-nephew mocking the way my sister blows her nose…anyone saying I love you! Hope whispers…in the smallest moments!

The gospel is a challenge for us all…as we seek the prophets of today, I believe we need to work on becoming the prophets of today! Make your faith be a source of hope for someone who is broken…Stop judging by appearances and open your heart! To write these words is easy…to put them into practice is most challenging. Take the challenge!

By the way…your shoelace is open! Couldn’t resist!

Brother Philip Herte, O.S.F.
Treasurer General
Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn

Acrylic by Tracey Taylor

Comments

Popular Posts