Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent

VIEW TODAY'S READINGS

Forgiveness

“How many times must I forgive?”

Seven times? That seems challenging. Can I really do that?

Seventy-seven times? No way!

But wait. It’s even more challenging.

One rendering of today’s Gospel is seventy times seven.

Some years ago, I saw a Liturgical banner that simply read:

      490 Matthew 18:22

Forgive 490 times? That seems unimaginable.

Of course, Forgiveness does not mean approving of someone’s bad behavior.

And Forgiveness does not mean we have to continue to allow someone to hurt us.

But forgiving someone who has hurt us will, I believe, free us.

And today’s Gospel tells us a little about how God treats us.

I trust that God will forgive me an unimaginable number of times.

And today’s Psalm 24 echoes my hope:

Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Bro. William Boslet, OSF
Board of Trustees
St. Francis College

Comments

  1. Thank you for your comments Brother Boslet. Forgiveness is indeed an act of mercy that can free us from reliving the harm of the sin. Since not all people recognize the harm they inflict on others, would you have any prayers appropriate to forgiving those who have not asked us for forgiveness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest the intercession of St. Monica who prayed for her husband, her mother-in-law and her son. If you "google" St. Monica, you will find several prayers along with her life's story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts