Wednesday of the Third Week of Advent

 | CLICK TO VIEW TODAY'S READINGS

As we prepare for the coming of Advent season 2020 and we reflect on our year and our Franciscan values what comes to mind is we were not at all equipped or prepared for the challenges we faced this year! The reading for today was all about belief in the Lord. “I am the Lord, there is no other; I form the light, and create the darkness, make well-being and create woe; I, the Lord, do all these things. For thus says the Lord, The creator of the heavens, who is God, The designer and maker of the earth who established it, Not creating it to be a waste, but designing it to be lived in; I am the Lord, and there is no other.

I lost my mom and my aunt this year, and with so much unrest around the elections and our communities, it seemed like everything we used to take for granted was turned upside down. What I began to realize is that life would be different and maybe slowing down a bit and reflecting on what is really important to us was equivalent to creating a new beginning and a new light! I have always believed in the Lord, and it is true we have no other! When you truly believe and take care of your spiritual well being, things just seem to fall into place.

I could not bury my mom or even be with her when she passed because of Covid, and did not see my family for one year. I was more isolated this year and did not see my friends who I love dearly. And then just before Thanksgiving my son and daughter in law and granddaughter arrived in Florida and stayed with us for 3 weeks. It was the most wonderful and rewarding time to just spend time with them and I kept on saying that the Lord gave me the greatest gift ever which a reconnection with my family and I became even more grateful to have them in my life. Waking up each morning to the innocence of a 2 year old who just kept smiling and laughing all the time to be with her Nana and Papa made us all feel so much love and happiness. We all talked, played, and prepared wonderful dinners together and we all had a much better understanding of what it means to have quality time with your loved ones.

The Lord did not create this universe to be a waste but designing it to be lived in! Those words resonate with me. We must strive to make the universe a better place and utilize our faith to be better prepared for any unforeseen challenges. We need to take care of what is important and recognize that our spiritual well being and our belief in the Lord will get us through the challenging times. We can make the world he created a better place by focusing on peace, and love and harmony in our lives and in our communities. Let’s remember what we have all learned this year and not be blinded by the things that don’t matter. Focus on the good in the world and our faith in the Lord will get us through the rough patches.

Judy Rice, SFC '79
SFC Board of Trustees

Comments

Popular Posts