Third Sunday of Advent

| CLICK TO VIEW TODAY'S READINGS

The third Sunday of Advent is called "Gaudete Sunday". The priest wears 'rose' colored vestments and the 'rose' candle is lit on the Advent wreath. As a young priest I was not overly thrilled about wearing pink vestments. I remember remarking once in the sacristy that the color reminded me of a G.I. series. Mysteriously, no one seemed to think it nearly as clever as I did. I was a taken aback that some ladies in the parish, well-known for their piety and sincerity, told me that I looked good in 'rose'. Perhaps that ego embellishment carried the day and as I have gotten older I have changed my opinion, do not call them 'pink' and have realized they are not so bad after all.

The color pink was chosen to reflect the joyful theme of the readings. 'Gaudete' comes from the Latin verb gaudere, to rejoice. Gaudete could be literally translated, "Rejoice y’all".

Advent was once a strongly penitential season on preparation for the Nativity of the Lord with many fasts, extra prayers and restrictions, much like Lent. Gaudete Sunday encourages us that Christmas is near, preparations are almost over and many days of feasting are on the horizon.

In the Second Reading, Saint Paul tells us to "rejoice always". The Psalm refrain is from Mary’s Magnificat where she exclaims how her spirit rejoices in God her Saviour. The Prophet Isaiah, speaking on behalf of the Lord’s Servant proclaims, "I rejoice heartily in the Lord". So, there is plenty of rejoicing here.

This is all well and good but before we get lost in the giddiness of the approaching festivals, we might want to notice the seriousness of the Gospel Reading. John the Baptist is determined to proclaim Jesus as the coming Messiah but his insistence on doing God’s will costs him his life in the long run. Should he too be rejoicing?

In these difficult times, it may be hard or even nearly impossible for many to see any cause for rejoicing. The Second Reading also contains what I consider one of the most challenging verses of all in the Bible, "Give thanks under all circumstances, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus".

As Christmas approaches, do I really believe that God is my Saviour. Can I accept that often, despite appearances, God is always actively taking care of me and that I can rejoice and always give thanks? How can I develop that level of trust in God?

To me, this is the very essence of faith and something on which to reflect.

Fr. Bryan Patterson, STL
Rector, Cathedral-Basilica of Saint James

Comments

Popular Posts